There are a few safety precautions we all take before getting on the water:
• Ensure that you are able to swim proficiently.
• To wear a Personal Flotation Device (PFD)
• To avoid being separated from your ski when you fall out by a leg leash or a tie down.
• Ensure you are able to remount into your ski in deep water.
• Be aware of the paddling conditions(Wind, waves and fog)
• If possible check the weather forecasts or contact someone from the club
• Wear the appropriate clothing to prevent dehydration, hypothermia, sunburn and sunstroke.
• Also make sure to wear bright coloured clothing.
• Avoid paddling on your own.
• Always inform someone if you go paddling. Tell them where you are paddling to and when you are expected back.
Western Cape Canoe Union (WCCU) & Canoe South Africa (CSA) Registration
In order to complete, CSA sanctioned surfski or canoe races, you must be registered as a paddler with WCCU and CSA. The registration process is not handled by the clubs any longer and all registrations and renewals must be done directly on the new CSA Paddlers registration portal. Click on the link and follow the instructions to complete your WCCU & CSA registration – https://paddler.canoesa.com/