- Junior Lifeguard: 14-16yrs – Junior Lifeguard Award (JLA) (Performs lifeguard duty under supervision)
- Senior Lifeguard: 16+ yrs – Senior Lifeguard Award (LA) (Can work professionally)
Our training courses will normally take place just before the start of the new season (September). The following documentation needs to be handed in to the instructor on the first day of the course so be sure to be 100% committed to joining the club! If you are under 21 you will need one of your parents to help you sign up.
What Cost is involved?
Once off admin fee: R350.00
Subs for the year: R 450.00
– 16 years old on the day of examination
– 400m pool swim in under 8 minutes
– Emergency Care – Level 2 First aid, Rescue Breathing, 1 and 2-man CPR, child and infant CPR protocols, recovery position and vomit drill, Jaw Thrust Manoevure
-Anatomy and Physiology
-Duties of a Lifeguard – Recognition of potential victims, Site management and preparation, Public Relations, Environment management, Natural and Man-made hazards.
-Signals including Helicopter signals
-Spinal Injury management
-Rescue releases – Drowning clutch, push-up and wrist grip releases, front and back strangle holds
-200m Run/200m Surf Swim/200m Run
-Box Line swim (maximum distance 100m) ? Torpedo buoy rescue and deep water resuscitation using fins including placement on dry land
-1 man drag & 2-man carry
-Malibu / Craft rescue
-Surf Awareness – This award is valid for 3 years subject to an annual retest which includes re-examination on a minimum of CPR, Run/Swim/Run and signals.
QUALIFYING CERTIFICATE: As per LA without the practical water work.
Once you are a qualified lifeguard the learning doesn’t stop! Make sure you join one of the voluntary duty squads at your club and join us on the beach. If you are over 16 you can start training towards your Inshore Rescue Boat (IRB) Crewman’s and Drivers certificates. If you prefer the thrill of the first Aid Room then join up for one of our seasonal Level 3 First aid courses.
View the Events Calendar for dates of Refresher Courses, Retests, competitions and exams.